IndependenceJuly 4, 2014
Oh Those Pesky FeelingsJuly 19, 2014
What a loaded question that is with no pun intended! When you are under stress it can be difficult to remember that you also have the ability to relax and take care of yourself. Both of those things must be present because if the “take care of yourself” is not present some terrible things can occur. It is easy to find ways to relax, particularly for those dealing with an addiction. Taking care of yourself can be a much more difficult, and sometimes terrifying, act.
So how do we relax and take care of ourselves in ways that are healthy and solid? Consider the following:
- Notice things that help you get in touch with yourself
- Look for things that make you feel good about yourself
- Consider what you do that raises confidence
- Imagine being surrounded by feelings of self-worth
To assist you in coming up with a list of healthy actions, answer the following questions as fully and specifically as possible:
- What relaxing activities do you enjoy?
- What are some physical pleasures that make you feel good about yourself?
- What are some places to go that help you get in touch with yourself?
- Who are the people whose company you enjoy and who make you feel worthwhile?
- What material items give you confidence?
Keep this list handy and refer to it whenever you need ideas to take care of yourself. Often just thinking about these things will help you calm down in a situation.
“Take your pleasure seriously.” — Charles Eames
Owner/Therapist - MFT, LADC, LP - Meg obtained a Master of Science degree in Clinical Psychology and since college has been busy working in the behavioral health field. As a Nevada licensed marriage and family therapist, Nevada licensed alcohol and drug counselor, Minnesota licensed psychologist, and a Distance Credentialed Counselor, she has held various management positions in national corporations.