Stigma and AddictionOctober 13, 2014
Fear of FailureOctober 24, 2014
Making changes in our life is one of the more difficult things we ever do it seems. Many people detest change yet accept the fact that change is constant. No two moments are ever the same and one must be on the lookout so as to best manage what life may throw your way. So how do one manage change? Consider these helpful hints:
- Become aware of the behavior you want to change. Are you drinking too much? Are you helping everyone except yourself? Is there something you’re doing that is not good for you?
- Look at the reasons you developed that behavior to begin with. When did you first act that way? What was going on at the time it began?
- Have compassion for what you’ve done in the past. Even if you didn’t make the best choices, you did the best you could at the time. Focus on the fact that you can now make better choices.
- Find new ways to meet your needs. Finding new ways to meet your needs makes it easier to let go of old behaviors.
- Get support. Those around you absolutely affect your ability to change. Surround yourself with people who are working to grow in their own lives and that will support your efforts.
- Name your fears. It is scary to change. Often we have to give up something in order to make room for something new. Examine what scares you in order to take away its power.
- Fear doesn’t have to stop you. Change scares us. Act anyway.
- Old habits die hard. When you attempt to change a habit, it often gets worse. Don’t give up at this critical point.
- Make several tries. Changing is a slow, tedious process – a trial and error process. Each little step moves one forward to real change.
- Keep trying. Most changes in life require repetition. Don’t give up.
- Be gentle with yourself. Patience is a virtue – have some for yourself. Don’t punish yourself if you fall backwards. Forgive yourself and get back to making the change.
- Give yourself credit. Take time to feel pride in your accomplishments regardless of how small the step may be.
- Celebrate. Treat yourself well when you reach that victory.
Life is full of changes. Work hard to embrace that fact. You will be the better for it and amazed at the evolution of self which will be fabulous.
“The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new.” – Socrates